Invisalign is a popular new form of orthodontics that many people with teeth problems are making use of. Knowing how to properly care for this new form of orthodontics can help your treatment process yield the best results.
What are Invisalign braces?
Invisalign makes use of a series of clear and comfortable aligners that are removable in order to slowly correct the teeth alignment. They are made using 3D computer imaging technology to custom make the aligners to your mouth.
What are some of the benefits to Invisalign?
People prefer Invisalign as they are convenient and less time-consuming than conventional metal braces. If you feel self-conscious about orthodontic treatment Invisalign is invisible and therefore more comfortable for adults to wear. The aligners are removable so you are able to eat and drink whatever you wish, as well as play sports freely without being hindered during treatment. The plates also enable you to brush and floss as normal due to the fact that they are able to be removed.
If I am a suitable candidate, how do I wear Invisalign?
Visiting the team at iSmile orthodontics for a consultation is the first step to ensuring that you are a suitable candidate for Invisalign. A patient is required to wear their aligner for two weeks, removing it only when eating, drinking and brushing their teeth. After wearing a specific aligner for two weeks you will be required to wear a new one that will slowly and progressively shift the position of the teeth. You will need to visit your dentist at iSmile Orthodontics every 6-8 weeks in order to ensure that your treatment is progressing as planned.
What are some things I can do to take care of my retainers and my teeth?
- Ensure that you clean both the inside and the outside of your aligners thoroughly before wearing them using a soft toothbrush and toothpaste. Wash your hands with soap and water and handle only one aligner at a time.
- Never use denture cleaner or mouthwash to clean your Invisalign aligners as this can damage the material.
- To apply the aligner insert it over your teeth and use your fingertips to apply pressure over the molars to secure them. Do not bite the aligners into position as this may cause damage to them.
- The aligners are only affective if they are in your mouth. It is recommended you wear the aligners for 20-22 hours a day, only taking them out to eat, drink or clean your teeth.
- You are able to drink water whilst wearing your Invisalign aligners, however if you are eating or drinking anything else you will need to remove them in order to prevent discoloration.
- Ideally you should try to brush or floss your teeth after every meal or snack. If this is not possible you should rinse your mouth with water and clean your aligners by holding them under warm running water.
- Always store your aligners in the case which is provided to you to prevent them getting lost or damaged.
- To remove the aligners use your fingertip on the inside of the back molar to slowly pull the aligner from your teeth.
- When starting a new set of aligners, switch to your new set in the evening and rinse them. You will need to wear your new set for 12 hours straight. If you feel discomfort, ask your doctor if you can take an over-the-counter pain reliever.
- Store your previous set of aligners as a back-up just in case something should happen to your current set.
- Probably the most expensive mistake that most patients make is forgetting to insert their retainer back in after eating or drinking. It is best to come up with a system to remind yourself to wear your retainer consistently.
Consult with your orthodontist about any questions you may have.
Speaking to your orthodontist at iSmile Orthodontics about any questions you may have is the best route you can take when it comes to Invisalign. Your orthodontist will guide you in the best way to care for your aligners as well as the crucial information you need to ensure treatment runs smoothly. iSmile understands that accidents happen and will happily replace any broken or lost aligners free of charge. Call iSmile Orthodontics on +61394668484 to book an appointment today.