Orthodontics for Adults
We create designer smiles
If you didn’t receive orthodontic treatment as a child or your teeth have shifted over the years, it’s not too late. Research has shown braces to be just as effective on adults as they are on children and iSmile are proud to offer a range of orthodontic options for adults seeking to correct their teeth. Our specialists are Invisalign Elite Preferred Practitioners, able to offer you the most unobtrusive, cosmetically subtle orthodontic treatment.
Adults seek orthodontic treatment for a variety of reasons. As well as achieving that perfect smile you always wanted, you may also understand the health benefits such as minimising the risk gum disease or tooth decay and improving overall oral hygiene. Boost your smile, your confidence and your teeth through orthodontic treatment designed specifically for you.
The most common reasons for adults to seek orthodontic treatment are:
- A bad bite/malocclusion – teeth don’t fit together correctly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart – both can lead to tooth decay and/or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth
- Desire for a more confident smile
Most treatment options available for children are, in theory, applicable to adults. However, each patient is examined and their case carefully considered by our specialists to discover the best option for you. These treatments can include:
- Clear braces
- Invisible braces – Invisalign
- Traditional metal braces
What is the difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children?
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may make orthognathic surgery necessary to align the jawbones.
Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Earlier incomplete orthodontic treatment— Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to resume their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our team recognises that adults and children have different needs and require a different level of attention and care. We will ensure you receive the most appropriate treatment and that your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment as an adult?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving necessary orthodontic treatment can create long-term health issues.